Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 1 - Travel

The first leg of my travels certainly bodes well for the entire month.  I chose to fly British Airways for the sole reason that they had the best fare. Little did I know that they also have wonderful customer service.   Check-in went smoothly and the clerk was congenial and inquisitive.  He casually asked about the nature of my travel and when I explained the Endowment, he lit up like a Christmas tree!  "That's the best reason I've ever heard for travel," he said.  The line was long and we couldn't dally in frivolous conversation, but I think we both wanted to.  I thought to myself how proud my wife would be that I spoke so openly to a stranger.  She's never met a stranger and follows in a family tradition of interviewing everyone she meets.

The flight was delayed slightly.  (20 minutes ) Unlike most US airlines,  British Airways continually informed the passengers about the delay. We knew why we were delayed, the status of the flight and how long we could expect to wait.  In addition, we were assured that the pilot would be able to make up the time in the air and that we would land at London's Heathrow on time.

While waiting to board, one of the airport personnel noticed how patiently another passenger and I had been waiting and he allowed us to check-in through the first-class line.
My seat was particularly comfortable for an airplane.  I was seated in the second row of the world traveler (ie economy ) section.  Due to the emergency exit door,  I had no seat in front of me which gave me ample leg room for my 6'1" frame.  On my seat was a pillow, blanket, headphones and even a toothbrush and toothpaste all in plastic "sanitized for your convenience " wrapping.

The take-off was uneventful (always a blessing) and beverage service came quickly. It offered a wide variety of juices, sodas, coffee, and even alcoholic drinks.  Choosing a Ginger ale I was pleased to be presented with an entire can.  Even with flying at least once a year,  and often twice, I can't remember the last time I got a whole can!  (Obviously, I'm easily impressed! )

With a drink and a comfy seat, I decided to peruse the in-flight entertainment system.  Hollywood blockbusters, British television, documentaries, and multiple channels of music.  I decided to listen to the Mozart channel while catching up on a little reading. 

About an hour and a half into the flight, dinner service began.   To herald in the meal we were treated to a brief biography of the British Airways chefs.  Yes,  they have chefs!  The choices for dinner included curried chicken or vegetable lasagna.  I chose the lasagna. The lasagna was a three-layer cheese and veggie lasagna that was marvelous!  It was served with a hard crusty roll, roasted corn salad and wine!  Yes,  wine was served with the meal.  I chose the red wine as it seemed a better paring with the lasagna.  It was a Spanish wine, mildly dry yet fruity with notes of cherry and a peppery finish.  (That's what it said on the bottle. ) Actually, it was simply delicious and one of the best glasses of red wine I've ever had.  For dessert,  Chicago style strawberry cheesecake!   If this is how economy is treated, I figure first class is getting pedicures and massages.

Following dinner, the captain came over to PA to ask us to close our window shades so that the morning sunrise won't wake those trying to sleep.  He also said that he hoped we enjoyed our dinner and that breakfast would be served about an hour and a half before landing in London!


No comments:

Post a Comment