Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Day 19 - Nothing Much to Report

Today was not a good day for me.  Nothing went wrong, but nothing went right either.  We had class, we went to a reception hosted by the US Embassy with some Viennese teachers, some of us went to the Haus der Musik museum in the evening. Here's the long and the short of it.

Class:  I believe Mozart was a bigger genius than we give him credit for and that we can only speculate at how much of his musical imagery was imposed by him and how much of it has been simply connections made by later scholars that saw parallels where there were none.  (Short version: Mozart knew what he was doing.)

Embassy:  Wasn't actually at the embassy.  Initial presentation, while informative, was not exciting. Austrian teachers are facing similar problems to those we are fighting in the U.S. and although the Austrian teachers believe their school system is better than ours, the Austrian government keeps adopting American policies.  (There are some things they do better, there are some things we do better.  Best probably lies somewhere in the middle.)

Haus de Musik:  This is an interactive museum that discusses many different aspects of music including history, specific composers and the physics of sound.  Most of the displays are hands on similar to the Arizona Science Center.  If any of you remember going to the Science Center when it first opened and all of the hands on electronic displays worked and how cool and exciting it was, well I figure that's how this museum was when it opened too.  Not so much anymore. (Tonight was half price night and I'm still not sure I got my money's worth.)

Food:  Good restaurant, good meal, high price - Tomorrow I eat Bratwurst mit Brot again.

And that's the simplified day.  I hope I have more to tell you tomorrow.  There are a few picture in the album!


Gustav Mahler 

Leonard Bernstein wasn't buried in his Tuxedo

Queen of the Night Marionette

Beethoven's apartment door.  It's no longer on the apartment.
Do you think the current residents have problems
with theft?
My dinner.  It isn't as pretty as somethings I've eaten here,
but is sure was tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment