Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 21 - A Beautiful Day

I am as guilty of forgetting to stop and appreciate the simple things in life as most people.  Not today!  The weather cooperated in a way that we seldom see in the desert southwest.  As we sat in the lecture hall at the University of Vienna listening to Dr. Froschel speak at length about the Habsburgs I couldn't help but lose my focus out the window to the green of the trees, the soft breeze, the singing birds. . . . . It called to me and I couldn't go.  I feel much the same way each evening when I Skype with Jenny.  I long to be with her, but I can't yet go.

After a short break, lectures continued in our regular classroom with Dr. Fischer.  I absolutely adore the effortless way that Dr. Fischer can discuss highly sensitive subjects.  Most of the time I agree with her but sometimes I feel that, in her haste to right the wrongs of the past, she alienates individuals because she holds them accountable for the crimes of their ancestors.  No matter how hard I try, I cannot change the past.  I could log in to Wikipedia and re-write the past, but I can't change it.

The class ended and I found myself embroiled in a lengthy discussion with Dr. Fischer.  I tried to point out that not all white males are racist, sexist pigs and that by making such a sweeping generalization she is as guilty of racism and gender bias in the present as my ancestors were in the past.  I hope I was successful.  She has a number of great points and good ideas.

Birds and breezes beckoned and I went on a walk-a-bout. I just strolled through the city trying to find places I hadn't been before and to make plans for my day off of class tomorrow.  I think I'm going to go to the Albertina Museum and/or the photography museum.  I know they won't let me take pictures, but, oh well!

I had a quiet dinner at a small restaurant near the hotel and a nice long chat with Jen and Jade.

Pictures are in the photo album, but there will be better ones tomorrow.  I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment