Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day 26 - Ja, das ist die Liechtensteiner Pol-ka mein Schatz! Polka mein Schatz! Polka mein Schatz! Da, bleibt doch kein Liechtenstener auf seinem Platz! Auf seinem Platz mein Schatz!






For nearly four weeks I have been walking past the Liechtenstein Museum.  Several times a week I would stroll through the garden on my way back to the hotel from the subway.  I have made multiple comments about wanting to Polka through the Liechtenstein.  Today I finally paid my admission.  I should have gone their sooner. Like most museums here, pictures are not permitted in most of the galleries.  The few photos that I do have just don't do this place justice.  

The Liechtenstein family is one of the oldest families of nobility in Europe that still exists today.  The museum building was part of their summer house, was built in the late 17th century, and was  renovated by the current Prince in 2001.  The art collection that is on display is the private collection of the Liechtenstein's and has been amassed over hundreds of years.

The library was the most impressive room in the palace, at least it was for me.  I was able to take one picture in there with the surreptitious help of a friendly security guard who conveniently looked the other way for me.  (Believe it or not, I asked if I could take a picture of the room, not the artwork, and the guard "allowed me to take it" so to speak.  I daren't even place gender in these sentences because I don't with the guard to get in any trouble.)  After clicking off my one photo, I longed for more and found a link to a computerized virtual tour.  Take it, you won't be disappointed.  The virtual tour was filmed at Christmas time and they have the most Charlie Brown Christmas tree you can imagine.


















Following the museum I decided to stroll along the Danube.  It was a beautiful day for it, although a little hot.  I forgot to put on sunscreen so I didn't stay too long.  I'm thinking of going back tomorrow with sunscreen and shorts. I took some fun flower pictures. I also made it to that church I saw the other day.  It is the St. Francis of Assisi church.  The exterior is beautiful, but the interior is undergoing a massive restoration and is nothing but scaffolding.  I didn't take any pictures inside.  It looks like it will be beautiful when it's done.     

Dinner  took me to a restaurant called Sky that is on the top floor of a shopping center and overlooks the city.  I had a great dinner but service was poor.  I had a sirloin steak with  three different potatoes.  It was really tasty, but the better news is that on the way home, the AIDA was closing for the night and I got Torte on a half price sale.  Two treats today!  The bad news is they weren't labeled so I don't know what they are called.  The actual torte is more of a cinnamon cheesecake.

I've only got two days left in Vienna and I have to say I am museumed out.  I'm thinking of strolling the Danube again tomorrow or maybe more of the gardens at the Schloss but other than that I just don't think I can take another museum.  We've got our farewell dinner tomorrow night.  I'll tell you all about it.





No comments:

Post a Comment